Thursday, January 24, 2019

Wildknits Ramen Soup

I should note that when I first created this recipe I didn't measure anything, just went by what seemed right. The last time I cooked up a batch I tried to keep track of what I did, as well as the measurements.

So - my version of a ramen noodle soup. Gluten, nut, soy and dairy free. Can easily be made vegetarian or vegan by substituting an appropriate protein source and broth.

Ramen Soup

Lotus Brand Rice - Millet Ramen noodles (their other varieties are delicious as well, available at my local Co-op and at Costco)
Cook per instructions, rinse well, drain and set aside
___

1 chicken breast, cubed
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp diced ginger
black pepper to taste
olive oil

Saute spices in oil for about a minute then add chicken and stir well.

Chop an assortment of veggies. Some I have used:
carrots
mushrooms
asparagus
broccoli
pepper (green, red, orange or yellow)

When the chicken is almost cooked through add the chopped veggies to the pan and saute for a few minutes. Add a quarter cup or so of chicken broth, cover and cook until chicken is done and veggies are tender.

Place noodles, chicken and veggie mixture in a sauce pan and add enough broth to cover and make a nice soup consistency. Add additional minced ginger (1/2 tsp), nori (1-2 sheets), a healthy splash or two of coconut aminos (or tamari or soy sauce) and greens (spinach or kale work well). Heat until greens are wilted and all ingredients are heated through.

The above version made enough for 3 meals and reheats well.

No comments: