Thursday, January 24, 2019

Sourdough Creations + Tahini-Pumpkin Seed-Cranberry Bars

When it became clear that I wasn't tolerating a lot of wheat in my diet, but that rye seemed to be okay I went in search of recipes for rye bread. I eventually decided I wanted to make a sourdough starter from scratch that was 100% rye as detailed in a previous post.

I also went in search of recipes for 100% rye sourdough bread and stumbled across this cookbook:
100% Rye.

Not only does she include a great No-Knead Sourdough Loaf, but there are lots of other fermented and baked goods using rye flour, traditional fats (butter, lard or coconut oil) and honey (or molasses).

My favorite recipes, so far:
 - No Knead Sourdough Loaf - this loaf keeps incredibly well so I am making only one at a time
 - Sourdough Clafoutis - I use coconut oil instead of butter as I am dairy free, and add cranberries as well as apples, plus leave out the cinnamon (a highly inflammatory food for me)
 - Fudgy Sourdough Brownies - again using coconut oil. I also use dark cocoa powder which gives it a deeper, richer flavor.

I have found that all of these foods have been well received by friends, even those who were a little skeptical when they heard the words sourdough and brownie used in the same sentence!

________________

Tahini-Pumpkin Seed-Cranberry Bars

This recipe was adapted from one I found at Sweet Potato Soul for her Cinnamon Tahini Cookies.

At some point while baking up a batch I got lazy and put the whole mixture into a baking pan and made bars. When I learned that cinnamon was out, I tried other spices (nutmeg - go lightly on this stuff!) but eventually just left the spice out. As I am nut free due to allergies (as well as peanuts and sunflower seeds, but thankfully NOT coconut) I substituted pumpkin seeds for walnuts and eventually, because all things are better with cranberries, added those as well.

These bars are vegan, nut, soy, dairy and gluten free (if made with gluten free oats).

My version makes enough for a 9x13" pan (24, 2" bars)

1.5 cups tahini
.75 cups maple syrup
3 tsp vanilla extract

Mix together well. Add:

2.25 cups oats (I use thick rolled oats)
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 cup whole frozen(fresh) cranberries
pinch of salt

Stir until well combined

Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper (makes for easy clean up). Add batter and press into place, evening out the top and ensuring it reaches all corners. Cut into 2" squares.

Bake at 350 F for 50 minutes, then turn the oven down to 250 F and bake for an additional 10 minutes.

Cool (lifting bars out by parchment paper onto a rack), separate along the scored lines into individual bars and store in an airtight container.

Double-baking makes for a firmer bar that can hold up to being in a pack during a long run or ride.


No comments: