Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Snowmobile trails..

are perfect for running right now! Firm, but not hard like pavement; good traction; no ice. 

The sun was shining, there was barely any wind (which helped as it was zero degrees F when I headed out this morning) and no snowmobiles - a perfect day!

Of course there were hills, and they seem to be harder to run in the winter (why is that?!?). The route follows the powerline corridor in western Duluth and includes some climbs (and descents) that would be familiar to anyone who ran Wild Duluth this year.

Oh, and to top it all off the Lake was steaming this morning (a sure sign of near zero or below zero temperatures). Combined with the sunrise it was a pretty spectacular sight and a great way to start the day.

9 comments:

Chris said...

Happy New Year to the wildknits household!

Jean said...

My local bike trails are getting pretty hard packed as well. They might be a lost cause for plowing unless they can get a truck in there!

I love seeing the steam coming off of Lake Superior. A wee bit chilly to be outside, but it is a cool sight nonetheless!

Happy New Year!

wildknits said...

Happy New Years to all the readers!

Jean - I find that even packed snow is softer than pavement and a relief to the legs. Maybe it is a good thing the plow can't make it through ;->

Karen G said...

Happy New years!! I need to get your soup recipe sometime soon.

wildknits said...

Happy New Year Karen! The recipe is from The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen - it is a classic, vegetarian and probably easy to adapt to vegan.

Samantha said...

Happy New Year! I work late again on Tuesday if you want to hit trails again. They were quite excellently packed! Hopefully it warms up just a tad, though.

wildknits said...

Tuesday morning would be great! I wouldn't mind it warming up a bit...

Doug said...

When biking, I find the hills to be harder in bitter cold weather as well. I think all my energy is going into keeping me warm.

wildknits said...

Doug - I like your reasoning! Not that I am a great hill climber at the best of times, but I am is decent shape (best of my life?) and they still challenge me.

My goal is to be able to climb them at a "run" by the end of the snow season ;->